• Frequently Asked Questions

    1. Do I need a visa to visit mainland of China?

    Foreign citizens generally need a visa to visit  mainland of  China with the exception of visa-free entry according to relevant agreements and regulations.

    2. Where should I apply for a visa?

    You can apply for a visa at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate General ( consular district division ).

    3. What type of visa should I apply for?

    It depends on the purpose of your trip to China and other factors. See detail.Consular officers have the final say on the type of visa to be issued.

    4. As a U.S. citizen, can I apply for a Chinese visa at the port of entry?

    U.S. citizens must obtain a visa before arrival in China. They cannot apply for a visa at the port of entry.

    5. I will only transit in China for 24 hours. Do I need visa?

    Passport holders of 51 countries including US may enjoy 72-hours visa-free transit via Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Chengdu, Dalian, Shenyang and Xi an airport. Passenger must travel by air, have valid passport or travel documents as well as the confirmed flight ticket onward to the third country or region and valid visa (if required). Other restriction may apply.

    6. How to obtain a China visa?

    The Chinese Embassy and Consulates do not accept mail-in applications. Applicants for visas are requested to appear at the Consulate in person or apply through an authorized visa agency.

    We are authorized by the Chinese Consulate to handle China visa service. We only provide the service areas of New York Consulate.

    6. Do I need to send my physical passport?

    Yes. it is required to send your actual passport. The Embassy/Consulate needs your passport in order to affix or stamp your visa onto it.

    7. Why must I have full blank visa pages in my passport?

    China visas are affixed in your passport on the pages specifically marked for them, and countries require that visa stamps be placed on those pages that do not contain any other stamps.

    8.Can a visa be issued on a blank amendment page at the back of my passport?

    No, amendment pages at the back of passports are specifically for changes and endorsements to a passport after initial issuance. Embassies and Consulates generally refuse to issue visa to amendment pages.

    9. What is the requirement of the photo?

    The Consulate and passport agency require passport type photo i.e. full face frontal, 2″ x 2″, with white or off-white background. You can obtain this type of photo anywhere that advertises “passport photo” service. If you print your own photo, it must be high resolution and needs to be printed on special photo paper. Cutout from personal photograph is not acceptable. Please paper clip the photo to the application form.

    10. How should I send you my passport and other materials?

    Most customers use USPS Priority Maill. You can also use Priority Mail Express, FedEx and UPS. It has the benefit of provided tracking. There are also customers that use regular mail. Although, that is not recommended.

    Using Certified and/or Registered mail is more reliable but might be slower. Priority Mail with signature confirmation is slower than without signature confirmation. If your time is tight, we recommend using overnight shipping.

    11. How will my passport and visa be shipped back to me?

    For shipping back to customers, we recommend use FedEx, because their tracking service is more reliable than USPS. If you choose to use USPS, you will probably receive a tracking number on the next day. Also, USPS can have delays when updating the location of your package, this applies to Priority Mail Express as well.

    We provide multiple Shipping Options,please see shipping method .

    12.Will any of the information I submit to you be sold or disclosed to others?

    No. Information about you provided to us stays with us. We will not disclose or sell your information to third party for any reason or under any circumstance. Please refer to our privacy policy for more information.

    13.If my application is rejected by embassy or consulate, is the consular fee refundable?

    No. Embassy or Consulates do not refund consular fees under any circumstance.

    14.What type of visa do I need?

    Visas are issued with specific type relevant to the purpose of visit. The most popular types include tourist, business, student, work, crew, private and family visa. You may also select number of entries such as single entry, double entry or multiple entry,see detail.

    15.What is the difference between a tourist L visa and a private S visa?

    Visas are issued to permit entry into a country for a specific purpose: to allow travel for tourism, or to visit family and friends. In general, “tourist” visas are issued specifically for the purpose of tourism, while a “private” visa generally permits a traveler to visit family or friends. You need provide supporting paperwork according to the purpose of your visit.

    16.How long can I stay in China for each entry? Can I extend my stay in China while I am there?

    With regular tourist or business visa, you can now normally stay 30 -60 days for each entry. If you need to stay longer while you are in China, please contact with the visa office of the local Public Security Bureau to file for an extension. Do not overstay.

    17. What does “Entries” on the visa mean? What should I do if the number of entries on the visa runs out?

    “Entries” refers to the number of times the bearer is permitted to enter China within the validity of a visa. It can be single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry. For single-entry and double-entry visas, once the number of entries is used up, the visa becomes invalid, and you need to apply for a new visa to visit China again. A visa also becomes invalid if its validity period expires, regardless of the number of entries left. Visiting China with an invalid visa will result in denial of entry. Therefore, please check your visa’s number of entries and make sure you have a valid visa before your departure for China.

    18. I am going to mainland China first, then to Hong Kong (or Macao) and back to mainland China again. Will single entry visa suffice?

    No! You need to apply for a double entry visa in this case, because Hong Kong and Macao are Special Administrative Regions. Once you leave mainland China to travel to these regions, it is considered an exit, therefore you will need another visa entry to reenter.

    19. I applied for single entry visa. Now I changed travel plan and I need to enter China twice, Is it possible to change the visa to double entry and just pay the extra amount.

    Unfortunately, visa once issued can not be changed. You will have to apply for a new visa. You need to go through the whole visa application process and pay the fee for the new visa again.

    20. We recently applied our China visa. Our application said we would only be visiting Beijing, can we change our plan now and take a side trip to Shanghai?

    Yes, you are permitted to travel to other cities as well. Information you provided on visa application form is for reference purpose only. You are not limited to cities you listed on the application form.

    21. I am traveling to Beijing for business and then plan on staying for a few extra days and doing the tourist thing, then travel to 1 or 2 other cities for sightseeing. Will a single entry business visa suffice or will I need a separate business and tourist visa?

    The business visa will not prevent you from doing any sightseeing, so there will be no need to apply for a separate visa for tourism. As long as you travel within mainland China, you do not need separate entry visa to travel to other cities.

    22. My visa says “Enter Before” 30SEP2014, “Duration of Stay” 60, can I use this visa for trip arriving China on Sep 20 and departing on Oct 15, 2014? Or do I have to leave before Sep 30?

    You can enter China any date before “enter before” date specified on the visa, then stay up to the days specified by “duration of stay”. You don’t need to leave before Sep 30.

    23. If I leave China for a short time and re-enter, does my visa term re-set to day 1 upon re-entry? Or, does my term continue from the first day I enter China on a visa?

    Every time you re-enter China, the duration of stay will reset and start from the day of arrival, not from the date of your first entry. You also need to make sure your visa is for multiple entry, not just single entry.

    24. When to apply for visa?

    The best time to apply for your visa is between 30 – 45 days before your departure. Chinese visa is valid immediately once issued, expires in 3 months, 6 months, 12 months respectively, depending on the visa granted.

    25. Are the Chinese Embassy or Consulates open on the weekends and Holidays?

    No. The Embassy and Consulates are closed on the weekends and US national holidays. The Embassy and Consulates will also close to observe Chinese national holidays.

    26. When do you begin processing my application?

    Receiving day is the review day. Processing starts on the next business day of receiving your application. Normally application will be reviewed on the day of arrival and submitted to the Consulate for processing the next business day.

    27. Does the processing time include shipping time?

    No. Shipping or return delivery time should be added to the processing time when determining the total amount of time needed to fulfill your order. Shipping times do not include Saturdays or Sundays unless specified. Deliveries may not be available on some holidays.

    28. What are the fees involving visa processing?

    Total cost of visa includes Consular Fees, CEV Service Fee and Shipping Fee. Consular fees paid to an embassy or consulate in order to fulfill visa issuance requirements. CEV Service Fee is charged for the services performed by CEV in facilitating the application. Shipping Fee is for the return of your completed passport, visa and/or other documents.

    29. I am not a U. S. citizen. Can you still process my application?

    Yes, we may help you to obtain the Chinese visa in the US, if you are legal resident or you have a valid long term US visa. You will also need to provide the legal status in the US, such as photocopy of US Green Card or valid US visa such as F, H, L, TN, etc. You may only be able to apply for a single or double entry visa. Other restriction may apply. Policy may change without notice. Please call for details.

    30. I am a US citizen currently living abroad. Can you still assist me?

    China visa policy changed after September 1, 2013, you are supposed to be physically in the US when applying for the China visa. Please call us for options.

    31. Can I mail my passport from China to the US in order to apply for a new China visa?

    China visa has an activating process. You will need to use the visa to enter China in order to activate the visa. On the day of entry, the clock starts to tick and duration of stay starts to accumulate. When you exit China, the immigration officer will count the days you have stayed, it must be within the authorized duration of stay specified on your visa. There might be unpleasant consequence for overstay. In another word, you will need to exit China in order to apply for a new visa. According to Chinese consulate, you are supposed to apply for the visa in your home country, unless for emergency reason. We don’t know how much the Chinese Consulate may know your whereabouts when applying for the visa. But question 1.25 on China visa application form “Country or territory where the applicant is located when applying for this visa” will reveal your location.

    32. I will be needing to enter China multiple times, is it possible to get a Z Visa that can allow me to do this?

    Z visa will only be issued as Single Entry. Holders of Z Visa shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit/entry administrations of public security organs under local people’s governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners’ residence permits. Residence Permit will allow for multiple entry.

    33. Will you be needing me to mail in the original copy of Visa Notice and Work Permit, and if so will they be returned to me after you have finished processing the Visa?

    Both Foreign Expert Working Permit and Invitation of Duly Authorized Unit need to be original. They won’t be returned to you, please make a photocopy for your own record. Some applicants have Alien Employment License (instead of Working Permit), which will be returned.

    34. What visa should Work or Student Visa applicant’s family apply for?

    Z visa or X1 visa holder’s spouse and children should apply for S1 visa. Copy of main applicant’s supporting paperwork, such as Working Permit and Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Unit (Z visa) OR JW202 and Admission Notice (X1 visa) AND Original proof of Kinship are required. Please refer to S1 visa for details.

    35. Can I apply for a tourist (business) visa and change to work visa later on?

    No, you won’t be able to change work type in China. You will need to exit China, then apply for a new visa.